Sunday, August 30, 2009

Hungry Artists - Perform Better

As of my last post, I was looking forward to seeing Frank Skinner, who I thought was a writer, read excerpts from his latest book. I don't think I could have been more off. Apparently he is also a defunct British tv personality, and the program I had paid for was a variety show. I think I was also probably the only American in the giant house that night, and about 80% of the jokes went over my head, but somehow the man still managed to make me laugh quite a few times. The uncomfortable highlight of the evening was sitting in the house full of drunk and edgy scots and brits (who weren't really getting along with one another), while we all watched the weirdest 40-something-year-old A Capella boy band perform a medley of Scottish hits consisting of Franz Ferdinand's 'Take Me Out' and that song 'I Can Walk 100 Miles'. The entire performance was just pure twinging, praying that the crowd didn't turn, especially since they were quite terrible.

But beyond my paid shows, I have actually gotten to see a whole ton of great free performances, ranging from American stand-up, to a talky theater piece about 20-somethings, to a musical called, 'I love you, You're Perfect, Now Change'. Free meaning you donate a pound or so at the end, but these shows were actually more worth a paid ticket than the ones I saw for money. Funny how that works.

The rest of my weekend, when I haven't been in search of the next free show, has been spent catching up on Scottish history and art, at the free museums around town as well as finding some of the best food deals in the country. Today, on my guide books recommendation, I got a GIANT container of rice and chicken tikka curry for £3 from the local supermarket and it was better than any food I've had here so far. Plus I won't have to eat for the rest of the day! I also met my next wwoof host today, Adam M., who has not one but three jewelry stands here at the fringe. He's quite an entrepreneur. As for my assessment of his sanity, as I promised my folks I'd make sure of when I told them he lives in a tree house, he is definitely sane and one of the nicest people I've met so far in the city. It sounds like this next week will be a lot of fun, starting with tonight when we'll be going out with some of his friends who are in from Canada for dinner and dancing. Looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment