Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Belfast

Unfortunately I can't upload any photos on this computer, but I'll add some more at the next place I pay for internet.

I made it to Belfast yesterday around 4pm after a long journey from Sligo. Belfast is quite a place. Immediately you can tell it's completely different than the Republic of Ireland. It's actually much more American, or I guess British. Instead of only Bulmers cider, there's signs for Magners! This would be spit on in Ireland. There's an Urban Outfitters, there's Mexican food! There are cinemas that give you assigned seats and an outdoor mall that looks like it was built by the same people who built hollywood on highland in LA. I almost feel like I'm at home.

Besides the similarities to the US, the city is actually quite huge! It's a regular city with lots of different sections. Some sections have buildings that are 300 years old, and then next door there is a giant modern ferris wheel. It's very disorienting, but quite beautiful. It's also very dead during the week. There aren't many tourists about, even though they have amazing tourist signs all over the city to encourage the tourism industry. It's also a university town in the south end of Belfast, and besides the big gothic main building, I wouldn't be able to tell the difference between here and Evanston really.

Today I woke up late, got some of the city's famous fish and chips (which were definitely one of the best I've had so far), and went to the botanic gardens. This afternoon I'm going to go explore the shipyard where the Titanic was built and have my last dinner in an Irish pub, where there will hopefully be some music! Then it's to bed early so I can catch my 7:30am ferry to Scotland in the morning. Sounds like a plan!

No comments:

Post a Comment