Saturday, August 29, 2009

A Country Refuge

While in Glasgow, as mentioned in my last entry, I met up with my grandparents friends, Colin and his wife Audrey Espie, and their 9 year old son Robbie. I didn't realize til I was sound asleep in a giant bed, but boy did I need a rest from being a tourist! Colin, the head of the psychology department at the University of Glasgow and a clinical sleep psychologist, picked me up in the west end, which was the University area. It's a beautiful old University, with vibrant streets in every direction. Then we drove out to his newly refurnished country cottage. It's his hobbie to update houses, sorta like flipping but with more love, and this one was repleate with multimedia systems, an amazing kitchen, and heated floors in the bathroom! Audrey had prepared a home cooked meal of steak, asparagus, roasted potatoes, and a classic Scottish desert of vanilla oatmeal pudding with Scottish raspberries. The meal was absolutely amazing!!!!!!!! I wish I had taken a picture of it.

After dinner I had a nice chat with Colin about a ton of different topics, did my washing in their free laundrey machines, and then went up to my own room with internet and a giant fluffy bed! It was a much needed night of sleep, especially in preparation for where I am now, the endlessly entertaining city of Edinburgh. I also learned a great deal about the clinical psychology programs in the UK and it was great to get another perspective about grad school for the future. So needless to say, thanks a ton to the Espie family for being such amazing and sweet hosts for the evening, and thanks to my grandparents for putting me in touch with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment