Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Movie Reviews

Somehow in the past week, I've managed to make it to the cinema twice! The first time put me over budget a bit, but last night I found a cinema in Belfast that was playing Inglorious Bastards for only £3! Tuesday night special! Couldn't turn that down! It was cheaper than dinner!

The Time Traveler's Wife:
What an amazingly interesting book, and what a shitty shitty movie. Granted I couldn't watch it with an unbiased eye, because I had just finished the book, but based on the fact that it was done at New Line (the defunct company at WB after Golden Compass sunk it last year) and had one of the worst one-sheets next to sisterhood of the traveling pants 2, I should have known not to expect too much. They stuck to the basic plot in the book, changed the very ending, and including absolutely none of the character detail that made the book worth reading. When I read the book I actually thought the characters were too universal, not developed enough, but then I watched this, and I don't think there was a single 'real' person in there. It was all generalities, stereotypes, and it was horrible. Not to mention way too sentimental. The only saving grace was the lovely Rachel McAdams who is too beautiful to be bad. She seemed to be the only one with any thoughtful choices in the entire film, and the usual great Eric Bana I don't think even read the book.

Inglorious Bastards:
I am constantly in awe of Tarantino. I had read half this script when it came out in Hollywood and was honestly not impressed. It seemed filled with hatred and crazy ideas, and not good at all. Then I went to the show, and every single line was executed with such attention to detail, you'd have to be out of your mind to be that great. The film worked perfectly, and was even a lot less bloody, and a lot funnier than I expected. I dare say it was almost a comedy. I had no idea what to expect from the end, and I must say, it was marvelous. Brad Pitt and the guy who played the Jew hunter gave two absolutely amazing performances. I will not forget them for a long time. This will definitely go down as a classic, perhaps, even...a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment