Saturday, August 15, 2009

Galway City!

I've officially moved on from Greenan Farm and made my way over to Galway (pronounced like gall stone, not like gal which my chicago accent can't figure out everytime I try and say it). It was a bit of a crazy journey to get here but I made it! I decided to stay with some friends in Dublin friday night (Will's cousin Roisin invited me out with some of her college friends) and we had one pretty grand rager of an evening. I only got about 3 hours of sleep before I was off to the bus stop to wait for a bus into the city center and then transfer to another bus to Galway. Of course, the bus I was told to go to didn't come on Saturdays as I figured out after waiting an hour. Finally, I caught the correct bus into the city with the help of quite a few friendly pedestrians and found out that they were gonna try and charge me €20 for a bus ticket and it wasn't even direct. Luckily I had noticed a private bus carrier that went direct to Galway for €10 when I was traveling to rathrdum earlier for my first farm. So I booked it over the river Liffey, found the correct bus station, got cash and a sandwich and made it back just in time to catch the bus. It was a nice 3 hour ride and then I was in Galway!

After a quick nap, I've spent the evening wandering around. Unlike Dublin, there really aren't that many touristy sites here other than pub hopping on the main drag. Galway is a college town and therefore much sleepier than bustling dublin. There's so many coffee shops I thought for a moment I had died and gone to heaven. And it's not as horribly expensive as Dublin either. Tomorrow I'll probably just walk around the city some more and work out how to get to my next farm on Monday! Soon to come are much more details about Greenan Farm and pictures as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment