Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dún Laoghaire

Dun Laoghaire

Okay, it's time to take a step back. Now that I'm officially back in Dublin after my rockin' music fest gig I can actually bum around on the internet a bit. Especially now that I have a Dublin library card and can get free internet for an hour a day! Woo!

On my last day in Dublin before the music fest I decided to take an evening and go out to Dun Laoghaire (sounds like Leary) on the outskirts of Dublin. It was a quick 20 minute Dart ride to the seaside, the Dart being a beautifully pristine version of what the L in Chicago could be if it wasn't so crappy.

Dun Laoghaire was absolutely beautiful. I arrived with plenty of time before the sunset and walked a 2ish mile strip up the coast to a small beach next to the James Joyce Museum below. The cylindrical building in the photo is the museum and is apparently where Joyce set the opening scene of Ulysses or something like that. He also apparently wrote Ulysses in Dun Laoghaire and I can definitely understand why.

By the beach there were giant boulders and crazy Irish men were jumping off of them into the FREEZING water. I didn't get any pictures of them but it was a pretty wild scene. As I made my way back to the train station I walked up the pier and tried my first cone of Irish Whipped Ice Cream. It's like frozen yogurt, but it's not as cold and it's really fluffy. So overall it was a wonderful evening and next time I'm in Dublin I'll definitely be staying here and jetting into the city. It was just a much nicer and cleaner and more relaxed place in general. And even better, I'm going back tomorrow and Sat. night to stay at a friend's house from the music festival who lives nearby. So most likely more pictures to come.

Before festival dirtiness kicks in

What a beautiful sunset

No comments:

Post a Comment